Pond grass and cattail control

I have a very small (apporx 40' diameter 8' deep) pond that is fed with a seasonal creek. It has never dried up but does get low enough to allow cattails and grass to go crazy. It has a nice population of salamanders and frogs with occasional duck and geese visits. So my question; Is it safe for the critters to use Roundup and or Crossbow to periodically control the weeds? If so how often is reasonable? If not what do you recommend? I presently pull or cut the cattails.

Linn County Oregon

Ponds are one of those areas that the local extension office doesn't have an expert in, however I would recommend using the PNW Weed Management Handbook to look for general weed management and also to look up herbicides that are safe to use in a water based environment. http://pnwhandbooks.org/weed/ If there isn't a aquatic use listed on the label then it would not be safe. In general any use of a pesticide contrary to instructions on the printed label is illegal and is not recommended. Before using any herbicide, read the label on the container. Before a herbicide can be recommended for a specific use, it must be thoroughly tested. The recommendation on the manufacturer’s label, when followed, can prevent many problems arising from the improper use of a chemical