Lawn Damage Repair

Hello, I'm hoping you can help me. Last year (for the first and last time) I used a lawn service and the treatment killed swaths of grass along with the weeds. I now have an erosion issue on my mostly shaded lawn compounded by compaction of the soil (cars used to park on the lawn). I'd like to work to get back to more grass and less mud with minimal or the safest possible fertilizer use. Would aeration and over seeding help? Thanks so much for any advice you can provide.

Baltimore County Maryland erosion shade lawn

The best time to do renovation work is late August through mid October. The second best time is by early April. However, spring seeding may not make it through the stresses of summer and you will have to overseed again in the fall.
If you have shady conditions, you should you should consider sowing fine fescue grass seed. In general fine fescues are comprised of creeping red fescue, hard fescue, chewings fescue, and sheep fescue. They do not perform well under frequent foot traffic, wet conditions, or high rates of nitrogen fertilizer. They also do not require a lot of mowing. Begin with a soil test. Results give pH. liming, and fertilization recommendations. https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/soils/soil-testing

See our publication on Overseeding steps and core aeration. hgic.umd.edu/content/documents/HG102LawnEstablishment_Renovation_Overseeding_3_2012sm.pdf mh