CODE 512

WE HAD SOIL TEST RESULTS FROM YOU. AND THE COMPANY IS ASKING FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION. NOT SURE WHAT IT MEANS. PROVIDE SOIL TEST LAB RECOMMENDATIONS FOR LANDSCAPE PLANTS. USE CLIENT CODE 512- SHRUBS, NARROWLEAF EVERGREEN- HOME- ON MSU SOIL TEST FORM. SOIL TEST #368F2Z, #767F5L

Oakland County Michigan soil testing

If I understand you correctly, your landscape service company is asking you to tell the MSU soil lab you are growing narrow leaved evergreen plants in a home landscape?

Your soil test results contain the information needed to fertilize narrow-leaved evergreen trees and shrubs.

Both tests indicate they were for trees and shrubs. The fertilization amounts and pH adjustments were slightly different. However the process you follow is the same:

Do not fertilize if the plants are growing normally and are of normal color. Michigan soils normally contain enough nutrients for trees and shrubs to grow without any fertilization. If plants are not growing normally or are not the proper green color, then you fertilize to stimulate growth, or you adjust pH for color by adding sulfur. Follow the recommendations in Step 1 ,2 and 3 if either growth or leaf/needle color is not good.

Your soil is low in organic matter in both tests. You want about 5 % organic matter. You should mulch your plants 2-4 inches deep with shredded bark, shredded leaves, or wood chips. Do not let the mulch touch any of the trunk- keep it about 3-6 inches back from trunks and stems. Over time the mulch breaks down and increases organic matter. Refresh the mulch each season (to maintain a depth of at least 2 inches) after the soil has warmed up.

I am not sure what code 512 is- that may be a commercial test code and I am a 'home garden question' person. I will check with the soil lab on Monday about this.

If you need help figuring what amounts of fertilizer to use, we can help with that. It all depends on the N-P-K analysis of the products you will be using (the three numbers separated by dashes, like 0-20-0). The online 'fertilizer' calculator' at the bottom of your test results page can be used, or you can write back to us with that information here. A third option is for you or your landscaper to call the State Garden Hotline during business hours, give the person that answers your test result codes, and he or she can help over the phone (888-678-3464).

I will update this question with what I find out about ' code 512'. I hope this clarifies your results somewhat. Please let us know if we can help you further.

Hello again, I spoke with the soil lab. The code 512 is the code used for home narrow leaved evergreens as your landscape company indicated. It is the code used on the online form, which is slightly different from the soil test self-mailer form. However, both requests give the exact same results--- the results you received. I am not aure what additional information your company would like. You can let me know specifically what they want here, or you may call the soil test lab and ask about additional testing, here. The number for the lab is 517-355-0218 Thank you.