rabbit dropping in compost?

I built a raised bed last Fall & have been adding compost materials all winter. The wild rabbits have been getting in there & leaving their droppings everywhere. Should I be concerned about planting my vegetable garden in there because of this?

Ramsey County Minnesota rabbit manure

Hi, and thanks for contacting AaE!

Rabbit dropping have been a big topic on the master gardener list serve these days - you aren't the only one who has questions!

The general consensus (backup by University research) is that rabbit poop is a fine soil amendment - partially because of the fibrous material in the manure that adds to organic material in the soil, and because of the nutritional components in the droppings.

The caveat is that the safest, and most effective use of rabbit droppings is to make sure that it is composted first. Adding rabbit pellets to your composter is a great way to spread out the goodness!

I hope this is helpful. Please contact AaE again if you have further questions.

Adding to that answer, my understanding is that manure from vegetarian (and apparently insects as with chickens) diets is safe, but any carnivorous animals,
including pets and humans, waste can be dangerous even if hot composted.
Be smart and be safe, from a gardener in MD