Keeping lawn green in the summer

I usually let my lawn go brown in the summer, but we're having a late August wedding this year and I'd like to keep my lawn green. I've got a large lawn under douglas firs with partial sun. I'm wondering if I let the lawn go brown and start watering in August if that will be enough time to get the lawn green again, or if that would be hard to accomplish and should just water all summer long. Thanks!

Multnomah County Oregon lawns and turf lawn care horticulture

I think the strategy that makes the most sense is to wait as long as possible in the spring to start irrigation - probably around mid-June - but start before the lawn goes dormant. Irrigate thoroughly every two weeks through July. Begin irrigating weekly in August and then quit irrigating 5 - 7 days before the wedding to make sure everything is dry and firm for the wedding.

Fertilize the first week of August if you want the lawn to look nice and green. Apply 1 lb. of nitrogen per 1,000 sq. ft. from a slow release fertilizer (i.e. not 100 percent ammonium sulfate or urea). To calculate how much fertilizer to apply to get 1 lb. of nitrogen, divide 1 by the first number (percentage) on the bag. For example, if you are using a 25-5-10 fertilizer, divide 1 by 0.25 to give you 4 lbs. of fertilizer per 1,000 sq. ft.

Good luck.