Why is it important to keep blood sugar stable?

My understanding is that it's not just diabetics who should aim to keep their blood sugar stable, but that it's a good idea for everybody. Why? Thanks!

Multnomah County Oregon human health

Sugar or glucose is the main fuel for the brain and also provides energy for muscles and other body functions. Blood sugars out of normal range can cause long term and short term complications as you see in diabetes; an example of short term would be frequent urination and/or thirst; long term would be heart disease or kidney damage. But these conditions typically occur in someone that is diagnosed with diabetes. If the endocrine system (ie. hormones like insulin) is working properly, the body will keep the blood sugars balanced and it will NOT be dependent on what we eat. The body senses the blood sugars rising or lowering and adjusts accordingly. For most people, unless they are diagnosed with diabetes or pre diabetes, the body is doing the job of creating stable blood sugars. That being said, many people feel better when they have a steady flow of energy or nutrients in the form of food, thus eating regular meals and snacks is recommended. We also know that many people are living with undiagnosed type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome or pre-diabetes which often have altered ability to balance blood sugars. I hope that answers your question, thank you for asking and let me know if I can further clarify.