How to kill wild growing bamboo

Asked March 30, 2016, 11:27 AM EDT

How do I kill bamboo? A neighbor planted it and has since moved away and it has been growing wild and invaded my yard. It has torn up part of my shed floor. It is now just growing wild. How can I stop it? Is there any kind of a chemical to spray or put on it. I have seen how the county or state comes along and spray to kill places that is overgrown. Will these chemicals work on bamboo and where do I purchase it? I am a senior citizen and cannot do a lot of digging. Thanking you in advance for your help,

Prince George's County Maryland invasive plants bamboo bamboo control bamboo killing herbicides

Yes, you can control and kill bamboo with an herbicide. The trick is to use the correct type of herbicide and the correct timing. Here is the article about bamboo on our website, which give instructions on controlling bamboo toward the bottom: http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/bamboo

Basically, use a systemic herbicide that will go down and kill the roots--glyphosate is the ingredient you need. Cut down your bamboo in the spring. Spray the regrowth in October. Wait 2 weeks and spray again.

It is very possible to do. Just stick with it and follow our steps. No digging!