Coffee Cake Recipe from NJ

Asked March 26, 2016, 11:16 AM EDT

I now live at an altitude of almost 5,000 ft. and I would like to use a recipe for a Crumb Cake from NJ. How would I alter this receipe??? It does not contain yeast.

Boulder County Colorado high altitude food preparation

Hello and welcome to Colorado!!! I came here from sea level too back in 1996. The first thing to do is to go to Colorado State University Extension website and then type in the SEARCh box the words: high altitude baking adjustments

This will take you to a great factsheet on the high altitude adjustments that you can "experiment" with. There is no one answer so you will have to try something and see if it works for you and your recipe. Sometimes is it just increasing the temperature by 25 degrees higher. Sometimes it is adjusting one or all ingredients such as fat, liquid, flour, baking powder??? You can also go to a bookstore and purchase Dr. Pat Kendall's book on Colorado High Altitude Baking. I have found it in the Colorado section of bookstores. A library might have the book too.