White runner beans

Asked March 23, 2016, 10:35 AM EDT

Hello.I recently acquired a package of "Corona" beans from Rancho Gordo company.They are giant white runner beans.I am wondering why I can't find these seeds available in the U S. Do you know where I can find them, and if so will they grow here in Coos Bay area.I am out by Sumner,so it does get warm here.Will the beans that are packaged for consumption grow? Thank You,Allyn

Coos County Oregon beans horticulture

Hi Allyn,
Here's a link to the Rancho Gordo company's website (http://www.ranchogordo.com/pages/faq-frequently-asked-questions) where they've addressed your question. It sounds like they don't always have the same varieties available at all times.

Also, you should be able to plant the 'Corona' beans you have and save some of the stock you produce for planting next year. The caveat with doing this is that you can't be certain of how high the germination rate will be, so you might consider planting extra just in case they don't all germinate and grow.

As for how well this 'Corona' cultivar might do in the Sumner area, I'd give it a shot and see! I would imagine they would do just fine. Be sure to wait until the soil temperature warms up to 60 degrees F before planting to increase the likelihood of success. Here's an article that might be helpful: http://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/wait-warm-soil-plant-beans

As for planting beans that are packaged for consumption, they should grow. The age of the seed would play into it's success; beans store for a fairly long time, but age can decrease a seed's ability to germinate. Something you CAN try is a germination test. Take 10 beans and wrap them in a damp paper towel. Place in a ziploc bag and let it sit someplace warm (a windowsill or table top will work). Give it some time and see how many seeds sprout ... that will give you an idea of the percentage of your seeds that might germinate in the garden.

If you're wanting to plant beans on a larger scale than a home garden, it would be good to purchase seed that is prepared for planting from a reputable source. The seed packages should give you an idea of the expected germination rate.