Critter Sealing a House

Asked March 22, 2016, 11:36 AM EDT

I have an older home with a big front porch. Birds, squirrels and sometimes raccoons like to take up residence in the soffits and also in the brick pillars of the front porch and the ceiling of the front porch.

I've read in the past that in addition to sealing entry points I should clean out areas where they have nested to eliminate the nest odor which attracts them. I didn't do it at the time because it was getting late in the year and cold, but, now I can't find what to use to do this. Can you help with this?

Kent County Michigan household pests structural and household pests

Preventing critters from getting into our homes can be a task. It appears that you have accomplished one of the bigger tasks of blocking their entry points. Cleaning up the mess left behind can also be a daunting task. Since you have an older home and may be difficult to do a thorough clean up. Clean up the feces the best you can. Try not to stir up dust. A light misting with water can keep the dust down. Clean the surfaces (contacted by the feces and urine) with soap and water followed by a disinfectant. Be careful to protect yourself with gloves, mask, etc. while cleaning to protect yourself from possible pathogens. Check out the following links for more information:

Raccoon Latrines

Squirrels

Rodents/Cleaning/

Raccoon