Woodpeckers and Cedar Siding

I have lived in my house for almost 30 years. For the past 3 or 4, we have developed a problem with woodpeckers creating holes in the siding and not just a few holes. It appears as if it is only 1 or 2 birds that are creating the damage. Some of these holes become homes for newborn birds and their parents. We are currently having the back wall of siding replaced because of a combination of sun damage and woodpecker damage. Since the workers are here and there is scaffolding in the back of the house, the woodpeckers have stayed off of the cedar siding. We had a pest control expert look at the house and there is no evidence of any insect infestation. Can you please tell me where I can find some detailed instructions to prevent the return of the woodpeckers. We see them periodically at our bird feeder in the front of the house and due to the construction they have stayed away from the siding. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Baltimore County Maryland wildlife woodpeckers wood siding

The wood peckers are probably feeding on carpenter bee larvae. As long as you have the scaffolding in place ,this would be a good time to drape bird netting from the eves.http://www.birds.cornell.edu/wp_about/damage.html

ro