Bipolar 'Weeping' Cherry Tree

My weeping cherry tree, which blooms wonderfully, started to develop a straight limb. It is growing upright and over the past two years, it is now 8 feet tall. The weeping cherry portion of the tree is about 6 feet tall itself. There are branches shooting off of this 'trunk' and it does get nice green leaves; however it doesn't bloom.
We have left this tree alone up till now (due to advice of 'it will weep eventually') but now I am hearing that this upright trunk is not healthy for the tree.

I am looking for advice on what to do, if anything, to my Happy and Weeping Cherry Tree and how to do it. Thanks.

Knox County Tennessee weeping cherry trees

If the branch has continued to grow upright and has not started to arch over, than the entire branch should be removed. Weeping cherry trees can either have a natural weeping growth habit or can be a grafted tree, producing the same weeping growth form. Nurseries often graft Weeping Cherry onto a fast-growing rootstock. The rootstock cherry is trained to one straight trunk and small Weeping Cherry branches are grafted to the trunk, four to six feet from the ground. If it is a grafted tree, there will be a graft knot near the top of the trunk. Any small shoots that grow from the ground around the base of the trunk should also be removed. If left, these small shoots will continue to grow and compete for nutrients. Each year, just before spring arrives, check the tree for any new upright branches and new shoots around the base of the tree. Promptly remove the branches and shoots and the tree will continue to produce beautiful blooms.