Emerald Ash Borers

Asked March 18, 2016, 10:11 AM EDT

I live in Fulton, MD and have 7 mature Ash Trees in Front yard. I am seeing a lot of EAB suspect damage...dieback, woodpecker damage, holes and splitting. What do I do at this point? Is there an arborist within UME that I can contact...do I contact any certain agency?

Howard County Maryland emerald ash borer invasives ash trees with borers

Emerald ash borer are in Howard County and do not need to be reported. To get a positive identification, you can contact a tree service company with an arborist on staff who is certified by the International Society of Arboriculture. Find one at: www.treesaregood.org

If they are infested, you will have to decide whether to take them down or try to save them (that will be a multi-year investment--emerald ash borer will never go away). Please read over our website's info on EAB, which includes a "decision chart": http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/invasives/emerald-ash-borer

Keep in mind that dead ash trees become very brittle very quickly. They need to be taken down quickly because of the hazard they pose.