Rose Rosetta disease

I work for a landscape company and we are seeing a large amount of roses that look like they have Rosee Rosetta dsease! I hate to tell all our clients to dig up their infected roses but we also do not want the disease to spread. We are seeing shrubs with an amount of thorns and die back. Is this disease prevalent in this area and is there any treatment available?

Vanderburgh County Indiana

Thank you for contacting eXtension about this. You might want to add my email address (below) and contact me directly for future questions.

Yes, rose rosette virus is prevalent in Vanderburgh County, and actually, through much of southern Indiana. It's not as universally widespread as, say, emerald ash borer, but I have found it in many landscapes in the Evansville area. Two years ago, I had to have a restaurant rip out over 100 roses, as they all had this disease.

This article from Virginia has good descriptions and excellent pictures of this disease: http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/450/450-620/450-620_pdf.pdf .

If you need it, I can come out to some of your customers' properties and verify the diagnosis, which then makes ME the bad guy and not you. Or, you can email me photos from their garden, and I can verify this for you and your customer.

Please let me know if I can be of any further help.