Soil Test

Asked March 12, 2016, 9:44 PM EST

How can I get a soil test in my two small raised bed gardens?

Madison County Kentucky soil testing soil samples madison county kentucky horticulture

Hi. I would probably take two samples, one for each bed. Within each bed, I would take several samples from about 6 inches deep and combine them all together. This will give you a general idea of what is going on across the entire bed. We need two cups of soil to run the test.
Place each sample in a separate labelled container or bag. Bring that into the extension office. We will need to fill out a little paper work and get a little information such as what you plan to grow in the area. Once that is complete, we send the samples to a lab. It takes about two weeks to get the results back. The results come back to me (horticulture agent) and i make recommendations based on the results. Once i get that finished, we mail the results back to you.
We offer up to 10 free soil tests for Madison County, KY residents. If you want more information on how to take a soil test, check out this link: https://madison.ca.uky.edu/sites/madison.ca.uky.edu/files/Horticulture/Taking%20Soil%20tests%202014....
If you would like to contact me directly, email me at amanda.sears@uky.edu or 859-623-4072.