Lillies disappeared!

Asked March 11, 2016, 1:40 PM EST

I planted a dozen asiatic lillies four years ago. For the seasons since then they have been multiplying prolifically. Then this year (as of March 10) I see no sign of the original plants nor any offspring. Could the wet winter have caused them all to rot? Is there hope that some will show up by and by?

Multnomah County Oregon flower bulbs lilies horticulture

Thanks for your question. Your asiatic lilies are probably just a bit slow to show growth this year. Be patient. You could scratch the soil lightly around the plants to see if growth buds are beginning to emerge below ground.

Rot is not likely unless the plants were sitting in water over a long period. If so, you will want to improve drainage around that area before replanting.

It is possible the lilies have become crowded and lost some vigor over the years. Oregon State University Extension has a publication on how and when to divide plants. You can view it at this link: http://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/2015/04/divide-and-conquer-plants-keep-them-healthy-and-p...

Good luck.

Thanks for giving me hope. I had promised to share the bounty this year and things weren't looking to bountiful. I'll keep looking! Willo