Grass for backyard and dogs

Asked March 10, 2016, 1:10 PM EST

Hi, my wife and I are looking for a recommendation for planting grass or anything for that matter that would be low maintenance and handle high traffic of our dogs in the backyard. It doesn't have to be typical grass it could be a mix of things we just want to have low maintenance (we don't mind mowing though) but don't want to have to do a lot of weed control or fertilizing. Currently we have typical lawn grass and creeping charlie. We are fine with this but it doesn't seem to handle high traffic very well. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. We live in Roseville about a half mile north of the st. paul campus of the U of M.

Ramsey County Minnesota lawns and turf dogs

Hi, and thanks for contacting AaE.

I'm afraid that there is no seed mix for lawns that will stand up to lots of dog activity. Most experts advise fencing the area that you want to keep green and healthy, and allowing dogs free reign over the rest of it. Some folks have resorted to artificial grass - expensive and not really environmentally friendly, but no mowing or weeds, and durable.

The creeping charlie is probably the hardiest ground cover you can get. It may eventually crowd out all of the grass, but it needs no mowing or fertilizing, and some folks consider it attractive. The main concern may be spread into your neighbors' yards.

I'm sorry that we can't come up with a better solution!