Wouldn't a blackhole be non-directional?

Asked March 10, 2016, 12:49 PM EST

In depictions of blackholes, they are always shown as being on a plane, like the surface of water that is being pulled down a drain. But space is three-dimensional, wouldn't a blackhole pull from all directions to some center point?
Although, now that I think about it, if you had two ships coming at each other, but with a blackhole between them they would both report that the classic drain/funell look was facing them. That no matter what "direction" you looked at a blackhole from, its mouth would always "appear" to be in front of you? So the classic depictions of them could still be visually true, but are misleading - leaving out info in favor of an easy to visualize image?

Jefferson County Washington

That is an interesting question. I am not sure I can answer, but would give the same considerations you already did. I have thought about what it would be like travelling in space, and even just approaching a planet - can you approach from the "front, back, top or bottom"? There would have to be a point on a plane where the mouth is flat, like a flat drain in a shower stall. Approaching from above, directly over the center? I suppose it would look similar to view from being on plane. Or from below? Would it even be visible from below? Sorry I cant be more helpful. I am sure there is a computer program out there that might be able to provide the perceptual view!