Yard weeds

Asked March 10, 2016, 9:54 AM EST

Can you identify the weeds in the attached photos? They little green ones just came up this year after reseeding a few areas. It's coming in thick and taking over the grass. What is it and how do I get rid of it? The other photo shows the remains of a weed from previous years. It creeps into the yard and is as strong as rope. I've heard there's something called "creeping Charlie" and been told it's almost impossible to rid. Can you identify it and tell me if and how to get rid of it? Many thanks.

Frederick County Maryland lawns and turf chickweed creeping charlie bermudagrass nimble will

The first photo is chickweed, a "winter annual", which means that it germinated last fall and grew slowly over the winter. Winter annuals usually explode with growth as soon as it starts to get warmer in spring. Apply an herbicide that list chickweed on the label. There are many satisfactory options readily available.

The second photo is not creeping Charlie. Look at the photos and info in our Weed Gallery: http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/lawns/lawn-weed-identification

This appears to be a perennial grass weed that goes dormant in the winter. In order to identify it, we need to see it better. You can pull up some, including the root, and send photos now, or you can wait until it greens up and send us photos then. We need to see the root and the growth habit. It could be Bermudagrass or nimblewill. Both are hard to control.