geese problem

Asked March 9, 2016, 4:59 PM EST

We have a small fishing club in Alburtis pa and we have 8 geese on our property. Over the years the first 2 have grown into 8. A game commissioner told us to hang mylar strips to try to keep them off the land. He also told us to call the usda who referred me to ask you for some input on how to get rid of them. They havent nested yet but we have fishing season starting and our kids fishing contest april 30 and we would like to try to have the geese gone for that if possible. Any information you can give me I would appreciate it. Thanks. Jen

Lehigh County Pennsylvania nuisance wildlife

Jen

Tough problem to solve.

call 610.391.9840 and tell them of your issue. They will likely refer you to a Master Gardener for recommendations.

Jen

Tough problem to solve.

Hi Jen,

I have heard that one of the more effective ways of dealing with goose problems is using properly trained border collies.

But since the number of geese is small, perhaps you could try one of the other suggested methods, such as restricting goose access to and from their water source.

Golf courses often have issues with geese. A magazine for Golf Course and Green Industry people, "Grounds Maintenance" has a good article posted at http://grounds-mag.com/mag/grounds_maintenance_canada_goose_wildlife/

Hi. Thank you for your responses. We have tried the mylar tape and like the article you told me about, the geese got used to it. They now walk around it and are getting ready to make nests soon. One of the pics I have attached shows our pond, on the far side of the pond to the left of our bench is where they normally nest. We have a kids fishing contest at the end of April every year and our grounds are always covered with goose feces and with eggs and babies the geese tend to get nasty and we are worried every year about the kids welfare while trying to fish. Since we are a very low budget club we are looking for places to donate or "rent" us some goose deterrants. We have heard that possibly getting some swan decoys could help by putting them in the water and also in their nesting areas. Could you tell us where we would write to possibly get a permit to get rid of the geese or the eggs? I have looked online and no website tells you where to write to. We thank you for the info you have given us and any further info you can give to us. Thank you so much! Please check out our website at www.alburtisnimrods.com to see more pics of our pond. Jen Hermany

Hi again Jen,
There are no easy answers for goose control. It can be extremely frustrating. We'd suggest that you go through the Pennsylvania Game Commission to get any permissions you need.

We have at the extension office a list of wildlife control professionals. You could call them and ask if they handle goose problems.

You can call us at 610-391-9840. Ask for Karen.