grass seed

Asked March 9, 2016, 10:41 AM EST

HI about three years ago I was given some weed killer which burned the grass in my backyard (about 24 x 5 feet space) for the past two years I have planted grass seed which grows and does well throughout the summer. However each spring the grass is gone, I have little patches (2x3 inches) of grass. I have used nematoads(spelling bad) to get rid of the grubs which worked, but the grass does not make it through the winter. Last year I put down milorganite to fertilize the area. I want to put some seed down this weekend since it is going to rain next week. Should I give up and cover the area in cement or rocks? This area is sunny throughout the day, so what type of seed should I put down.

Montgomery County Maryland overseeding lawn-

Scarify the ground to create the proper seed bed before seeding. The recommended seed is a turf type tall fescue blend. The seed should be kept moist during the germination period. A straw mulch or fiber covering will help keep the surface moist.Depending on the temperture, it may take up to 3 weeks before you see the seed germinating.www.extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/HG102%20Lawn%20Establis...

ro

why does the grass do well throughout the summer but disappear over the winter.

Suspect that ryegrass made up the majority of the seed mix.

ro