Problem with Zelkova Trunk Bark

Asked March 8, 2016, 10:12 AM EST

Hello Cooperative Extension Expert, Could you please tell me what is the problem with the bark on the trunk of this zelkova tree? The tree has been doing very well up to this point and I hope that whatever problem is causing this condition can be solved. I'd be very unhappy to lose this excellent neighborhood tree. Thank you for your assistance in this. Best regards,

Prince George's County Maryland zelkova trees exfoliating bark

In general, it is normal for Zelkova bark to exfoliate. Google Images of Zelkova bark.
We do notice that the tree looks like it has been planted too deeply. You should be able to see the flare at the base of the trunk where it joins the root system. See our website for more information. Go to our website extension.umd.edu and type Planting Too Deeply in the search box.
Make sure mulch is no thicker than several inches and keep away from the base of the trunk.