DSLR camera

Asked March 6, 2016, 10:04 PM EST

hello,
Im looking into getting my first DSLR camera. with so many options i have no idea where to begin. I will mostly be using the camera for capturing everyday photos. cottage, camping trips, life in general. also wanting to trying shooting some wilderness/nature pictures. (animals, plants that kinda thing) I am willing to spend about $1000. If anyone has any suggestions or can point me in the right direction that would be awesome.
I was looking at the nikon D5500, or D5300, or even any of the D300s. I just don't know if i wanna stick with nikon or maybe go to cannon.

Outside United States

Thank you for your question. It looks like you are wanting a general purpose DSLR and any of the ones you mentioned will do the job just fine. Current digital cameras are at the point where pretty much any camera from Nikon or Cannon will do a good job. Which manufacturer you go with will depend more on personal taste than camera capabilities. I recommend visiting a local camera store or talking with other photographers and see how you like the feel of the camera in your hands. Also, check the menu system, as that is a major difference between Nikon and Canon.

Here is an article outlining pros and cons of Canon vs. Nikon you might find helpful:
http://www.shawacademy.com/blog/nikon-vs-canon/