Dead grass

Asked March 6, 2016, 2:56 PM EST

There are certain places in my yard where the grass seems to die off completely. I just have to take my hand and scrape over the grass and it all comes up leaving a perfectly clean dirt surface. Most of the yard has good grass except for these areas. When I plant new grass seed, the grass comes up, stays green all summer but seems to die over the winter. What causes this?

Berks County Pennsylvania lawns and turf master gardener program horticulture

You could have a problem with white grubs. Dig down and see if you can find any. If so, Here is a link to a Penn State fact sheet on White Grubs in Home Lawns. The fact sheet will give you treatment options if you determine that grubs are the problem.

Eileen,

Thank you for your response. I think this may be the problem because every time I would go to reseed the lawn I would see the white grubs and think they were Japanese Beetles. I never knew they could do so much damage. I read the article and will try to treat the lawn for the grubs. Thank you for your help.

You're welcome. Good luck.