Offering programs for those with various disabilities .

Asked March 4, 2016, 6:15 PM EST

Are there programs, now or future programs, that might be offered to those with various disabilities? Possible programs about gardening, food and agriculture, etc that might benefit young people as well as older folks. I am a horticultural therapist who is retired from Levindale Hebrew Geriatric Center and Hospital, I have my own practice,part time called PEOPLE,PLANTS & SHARING,LLC. I am interested in advocacy for those with disabilities , especially Muscular Dystrophy. This question would impact family, health and special needs community. I am currently being considered to be on the Board of Directors for TALMAR in Baltimore County, so in that capacity, I will share your various programs with their Mission Statement. Look forward to hearing from you. Dee McGuire HTR

Baltimore County Maryland

Thanks you for your inquiry and I apologize for the delay in getting back to you… I am on sick leave and been away from my computer for several days.

First, University of Maryland Extension programs are open to all residents and when at all possible we work to make necessary accommodations with adequate notice. Our county office website carries a list of current programs; including commercial agriculture and home horticulture, including Master Gardening seminars … https://extension.umd.edu/baltimore-county

Frankly, most of our commercial agricultural programs are winding down in preparation for the growing season. We are completing our 10-part series… Starting a Small, Intensive Commercial Farm for Local Markets … this program was shared with TALMAR earlier in the year. Our partner in this program is Future Harvest CASA and they are sponsoring several additional topics for urban operations in the coming weeks. (actually these urban programs can be found on both websites) Their website is …. https://www.futureharvestcasa.org/

I hope these resources can assist you. If you have other questions or if you would like to meet in person, please feel free to contact us at the University of Maryland Extension office –Baltimore Co. at 410-877-8090.

Best regards,