Pet foxes in New York and Pennsylvania

Asked March 3, 2016, 3:21 PM EST

I am currently living in New York and I have a lot of experience with animals, and I have done a lot of research on foxes and they seem like an animal that is perfect for me and my life. Would I be able to get a pet domesticated silver or other fox other then the Fennec Fox? And what would I have to do if I had tasks required?

Westchester County New York human-wildlife issues companion animals

I would suggest checking with your local animal control, but from my research it appears that the only pet fox allowed in the state of New York is the Fennec fox and there may be some local municipalities that do not allow the Fennec fox either.

There are lots of considerations when choosing an exotic animal like a fox as a pet. They require a veterinarian that specializes in exotic species and can be expensive to maintain. Foxes will need an exercise space inside and outside. They also require a specialize diet.