Sprays

Asked March 2, 2016, 1:39 PM EST

Hello I am a Christmas tree farmer I have a problems with vines growing up through the trees. I was woundering if there is something I can spray with that will not kill the tree.

Berks County Pennsylvania

Do you know what the vines are? Specifically, are they woody vines like bittersweet and grape, or annual vines like mile-a-minute weed and wild cucumber? The answer to this will help us identify your options. Briefly, if they are woody vines, there are no selective herbicides that will kill the vines and not hurt the trees. In that case, manually removing the vines would depend on your time and manpower resources. There may be ways to use a non-selective herbicide like glyphoshate using methods that the trees will tolerate, but I need more information about the specifics. If they are annual vines, there are pre-emergence that may be useful this spring. Feel free to give me a call so we can discuss your situation further. 610-391-9840 Penn State Extension, Lehigh County.