Transplanting Prairie Dropseed

Asked March 2, 2016, 1:19 PM EST

I want to move several prairie dropseed plants that were planted last spring. When will be a good time to do that this spring? When the frost is out? Or when the soil reaches a certain temp? Everything I keep reading tells me early spring, which doesn't give specific advice... I really appreciate and recommendations!

Hennepin County Minnesota native grasses transplanting perennials prairie dropseed

Thank you for the question. Spring is an ideal time to transplant or divide native perennial grasses because they have the entire growing season to become established before winter sets in. Particular soil temperature isn't a concern. Transplant your prairie dropseed to their new location as soon as the soil is workable. If the soil is very muddy and wet, you may want to wait until it dries out to avoid compacting the soil and disturbing its structure as you dig the plants out. These native grasses can have very long roots so good luck.
Here are a few resources for you to read on planting ornamental grasses: