Dirt yard

Asked February 29, 2016, 10:18 AM EST

We live in Knoxville TN. When we first bought our house there was spotty grass in the backyard. Our soil is compact and we have four dogs. In addition, we have a fairly shaded yard. Only one portion of the yard gets sun and that is afternoon sunlight. So as you can imagine, we have a dirt yard. We are going to do a little terracing to prevent further run off. What type of ground cover or grass could we plant so that we have some green in the backyard. Thank you.

Knox County Tennessee

With out seeing your exact location, I would not be able to give you the best answer because amount of shade is a big factor in what types of grass are successful. You have some excellent resources there in Knoxville. I would recommend calling or emailing.

He can make a site visit to your home and give you the best plan of action to make your yard over.