Last years seeds?

Asked February 29, 2016, 10:14 AM EST

Good morning! I have some left over seeds from last year and I am wondering if they are still usable this year. I have a pack of lima beans that are opened and a pack of water melon seeds that are unopened. I was going to plant them to see what happens but don't want to waste time and resources if they won't grow.

New Castle County Delaware seeds lima beans lima bean seed

Although it's always a good idea to buy fresh seeds, it is quite possible your seeds are still viable - seeds can last for years, under proper conditions. Before planting outside, I would suggest seeing if they germinate inside under ideal conditions: put a few seeds inside a paper towel, soaked with warm water; cover (or place in a small Ziploc bag) - in other words; don't let the paper towel dry out. If the seeds are viable you should notice them starting to germinate within a few days. Good Luck!