Horned holy

Asked February 27, 2016, 9:54 PM EST

Is it poison


1 Response

Although there are no specific reports of toxicity issues for this species (Chinese Horned Holly - Ilex cornuta), the fruits of at least some members of this genus contain saponins and are slightly toxic to some animals that may be sensitive. They can cause vomiting, diarrhoea and sort of a drunken stupor if eaten in quantity.

Also, it has been reported that berries (just like pyrachantha) may ferment and produce a low-grade alcohol that will affect birds and wildlife- again causing a drunken stupor.