What rock is this?

Asked February 27, 2016, 10:14 AM EST

I found this rock recently. It looks like a normal quartz to me but the whole rocks are filled with tiny brown crystals. Can anyone tell me what is this?

New York

The brown color looks like iron which is common in many rocks. Those may or may not be quartz crystals - many minerals form 3-D shapes and it almost looks like the less-colored crystals grew from a solution where some solutes moved and grew the crystal but the iron was left behind. I think your best bet would be getting a mineralogy guide from a library and working through an identification key. Many minerals can be identified by relative hardness (scratch tests). I ran this by some folks at the New York Geologic Survey and they agreed, likely to be iron in the orange/brown, but both parts need to be worked through a key with the rock in hand to identify for sure.