rodent control (& dishwasher problem)

Asked February 25, 2016, 1:29 PM EST

I have an old box of d-CON containing 3 unopened trays. The active ingredient is Brodifacoum 3 [3-(4'-bromo-{1,1'-biphenyl}-4-yl) -1,2,3,4-tetrahydro-1-napththalenyl] -4-hydroxy-2H-1benzopyran-2-one 0.005%. Is this still approved for use? In general, can you recommend effective but reasonably merciful way (including electronic devices--price range?) to deal with rats--and one that doesn't leave rat corpses in the house or the crawlspace? I'm hoping you have a pamphlet (online or paper)! Many thanks! A little more background follows: This year, after I'd heard some scratching or gnawing behind a cupboard near the stove and my husband saw a rat run under the dishwasher one night, we tried RatX, active ingredients Corn gluten meal 55% and salt (sodium chloride) 2%. Little if any disappeared, but we had no more evidence of rats for about 6 weeks. Then the dishwasher flooded onto the floor and the repairman found one or two holes at the bottom of the tub that he said had been caused by rats sharpening their teeth. There were some rat droppings--not necessarily new: nine years ago a rat had chewed through a hose on the dishwasher. (My husband applied silicone to the hole he could see; we're waiting to hear from the repairman about putting all the screws back in the dishwasher.)

Marion County Oregon rodents home ipm

1 Response

Hi. Thanks for the message and sorry to hear about the issue. I've had my share of run-ins with rats and mice. They are pretty crafty.

You've hit on an important consideration in whether or not to use a rat poison (such as brodifacoum) to control the problem. Sometimes, poisoned rats will die in wall voids or other places that are almost impossible to access. You end up with a foul odor and potential public health issue that can be expensive to remedy. The other issue is that after ingesting brodifacoum, sometimes the poisoned rodents will die outside. Studies have shown that prey, such as hawks, can have secondary poisoning from eating those carcasses. To dispose of old pesticide products, I would recommend contacting your county for upcoming hazardous waste collection events. Please do not dispose via the toilet, sink or any drain. Our wastewater treatment systems can't handle these compounds well.

I've included a link to California's Integrated Pest Management program on rat control. It has a good section on trapping. Also important are the preventative and exclusion measures to keep future rodents away.
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74106.html


Best of luck with this issue. Kind Regards
Dave