holes in my lawn

What could have caused these holes in my lawn (see attachment)? There are 30, 40 of them. My lawn is around 500 sq'. This happened overnight last Sunday night. This morning, i noticed around 20 more new ones on the other side of the lawn. Also, how to get rid of whatever that is making them? I see my neighbor has some too. Thanks!

San Mateo County California

To whom it may concern,

These look like holes created by animals digging for white grubs (beetle larvae) within your lawn's root system. Raccoons, skunks, opossums, crows, geese, and wild pigs all do this, usually in the fall but also sometimes in the winter and early spring. The best way to prevent this is to manage white grubs in the summer. There is really nothing you can do now other than to discourage animals from visiting your lawn at night (motion sensing lights or sprinklers work well). Learn how to manage white grubs here: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7476.html

Hi Andrew, Thanks for the response. We do have lots of raccoons, skunks and crows here. Best regards, Daniel Yee