grafting

I have an 30 year old ornamental cherry tree that is the center piece of our yard! It has been losing some of it's larger/older branches over the years. I'd like to know if it is possible to graft more branches to the trunk so it might recover it's beauty for years to come.

Hood River County Oregon grafting cherry trees

The reason that the new branches at the terminal of the scaffolds are dying is because the scaffolds, and possibly the trunk, have rot in them and they are dying. I'm afraid that any new branches that you successfully graft onto the tree would also die after a short time. Thank you for the attached photos. They are very helpful. Unfortunately, I see only 2-3 healthy shoots that are growing from the old scaffold branches. It is of course possible to graft onto these shoots, but I'm afraid that anything that you do will only be temporary. It looks like a grand old tree that was the center of your drive, but I believe that it is time for you to think about a replacement. Sorry I can't be more encouraging about this.