Not sure how to treat mystery plant's leaf burn?

I bought a plant from a nursery two weeks ago and ever since, it has completely developed leaf burn. I'm not sure how to treat it, partially because I'm not exactly sure what plant this is! I think it's a tropical plant, and have been keeping it in direct, indoor light and letting it dry out between waterings. It is in potting soil. Please help, I'm trying to get better with plants. :(

Outside United States

I'm not 100% certain, but I think this is a cultivar of Dracaena deremensis. There are many online sites that will give information about care; however, your description of how you are looking after it seems textbook... well done! Otherwise I would have suggested just what you're already doing! A couple of sources suggested the plant is sensitive to chemicals (like fluoride) in water. You might try watering with rainwater, if that's practical at all... Since it is a new plant, have you checked it carefully for insects? Although the leaf necrosis is not likely directly an insect problem, there may be critters stressing the plant making it more susceptible to other conditions.