Since it has been such a mild winter, many of my contractors have asked about...

Since it has been such a mild winter, many of my contractors have asked about doing seeding now and if the seed will succeed (if so, what species). Is there any grass seed that will germinate now in a lawn-type environment? My thoughts were leaning toward annual or perennial ryegrass, if anything had a shot, but oat varieties were mentioned as well. This is in the 937/740/614 area code areas.

Ohio lawn seeding grass seeding time

I can not suggest planting any type of grass at this time of year when the temperature goes below 40 degrees at night and the ground is cold. Cool grasses (grasses that do not tolerate high temp) are grasses like Kentucky bluegrass, fescue and ryes. Spring is a good time to plant these grasses when temps are between 60-80 degrees and rain is sufficient for growing. Early fall is also a good time when days are shorter, cooler nights and heavier dews. Thanks for allowing us to help you with your gardening question.