Adjustments for Boxed cake mixes

Most of the commercial cake mixes have high altitude adjustments, such as increasing water and adding flour to the mixes. However, my cakes still do not rise evenly (lower in the middle). I am wondering if the addition of an extra egg may solve the problem. Is this the correct approach? By the way, I live at 9,000 feet.

Teller County Colorado high altitude food preparation

You are right-the high altitude adjustments suggested for box mixes are only good up to ~7,000 ft. After that, you need to do more. Yes-you still want to add extra flour ~1/4 cup) and 2-3 T. extra liquid; also an extra egg will help provide moisture and help set the structure. Cakes are usually baked on the center rack but above 7,000 ft, place the pans in the lower 1/3 of the oven and bake up to 5 minutes longer. You may also increase oven temperature by 15 degrees F which would shorten baking time. Cakes baked at high elevation tend to stick to the pan, so be sure to grease your cake pans and line with wax paper or parchment that is greased and floured. The CSU High Altitude Food Preparation Guide is downloadable at the CSU Extension website. http://extension.colostate.edu/publications-2/

Hope this helps. If you still have problems, please contact us again.

Thanks for using eXtension.