Very short half life herbicide for controlling Russian thistle (Salsola tragus L.)

I want to restore land infested with Russian thistle (Salsola tragus L., Synonyms Salsola iberica Sennen & Pau or Salsola kali L.). The land is located in southern Utah about 5 miles north of Arizona (Kanab, Utah). I am going to drill in a mix of grass seed and forb seed obtained from Granite Seed Company. The soil is a red, heavy silt (probably contains a fair amount of clay) that is derived from Moenkopi mudstone. Before reseeding I plan to mow the Russian thistle and collect the clippings plus seed and destroy them.

The question that I want answered is: Is there a very short half life herbicide that can be used to eradicate emerging Russian thistle seedlings before I drill in the seed mix that will be used for re-vegetation that will not kill the seedlings of re-vegetation mix.

Kane County Utah weed issues noxious weeds herbicides

That is a great question. May I suggest you contact Dr. Ralph Whitesides, USU Extension Weed Specialist, directly? He can be reached at Ralph.Whitesides@usu.edu.

Thanks,
Larry Rupp