Can you identify these beetles?

Asked January 22, 2016, 8:04 AM EST

These beetles were collected in a forested area in a nature park in Mindanao,Philippines. These beetles were collected in December using a light trap. Hope you can help me identify them.

Outside United States insect identification entymology beetles

I am probably one of the few people in the Ask-an-Expert system who can identify unusual beetles, but my expertise lies with North American beetles. And, the beetles you have collected are not ones that seem to be available commercially, so I couldn't even compare them to pictures on the internet to try to put identifications on them. The best that I can do is to identify them to family.

Picture #1, showing the largest image is of a stag beetle in the family Lucanidae. Picture #2 with the smallest image, is a rove beetle in the family Staphylinidae. Picture #3 with the medium sized image is a darkling beetle in the family Tenebrionidae.

The Ask-an-Expert system is designed to mostly answer Extension type questions within the United States and North America. There are very few taxonomists of any kind associated with the system, and of those, most will have little expertise in identifying things that do not occur here. For your Philippine beetles, if you want them identified below the family level, you will most likely need to find a beetle taxonomist from the Philippines who is familiar with the beetles in that area. These would most likely be affiliated with an Entomology or Biology Department at a University in the Philippines.