I have recently had some interesting experiences with fleas in my house. I...

I have recently had some interesting experiences with fleas in my house. I would appreciate your comments on what I have observed. First, I could not see flea eggs on my couch until I put the couch out in the cold weather. I noticed the cold seemed to bring the flea eggs to the surface. I found dozens of flea eggs on the areas where the cat laid. When the weather got warmer, the flea eggs disappeared into the fabric of the couch. Have you ever heard of this happening? Second, when I put a bowl of water in a lighted area I can "catch" fleas. I have caught larvae and pupae as well as adult fleas. Some of the adult fleas are as tiny as a fine grain of pepper. I have caught more fleas with bowls of water than with sticky flea traps. Third, my skin is highly sensitive to fleas. I can feel every bite and I can also feel the movement of the non-biting larvae and pupae. I feel flea bites more often inside my socks than any other area of my body. Sometimes the bites sting and sometimes they have a burning sensation. Fourth, I have worked with Orkin and I have also tried every kind of flea insecticide I could find. I have dutifully followed directions. However I have never been successful at killing all the fleas in my house. Thank you for your kind attention to my questions and concerns. Annette Cross annette.cross@yahoo.com 4070 Mayflower Blvd. Columbus, Ohio 43213 (614) 453-5410

Franklin County Ohio insecticides fleas flea control

Hello from Ohio State University Extension. I have not experienced some of things that you are discribing. Fleas can be a challenge and something that can take awhile to completely eliminate from the home. The factsheet (see link below breaks down the pest and describes both monitoring and control measures.

Dr. Dave Shetlar and Jennifer Andon are with OSU's Department of Entomology have authored a resource that I would like you to see. The information is posted to their website and can be found at http://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/HYG-2081-11

I hope that you find this information useful and that your situation improves as you continue to work to eliminate the problem. If you have any photos of the situation that you would like to submit, please let me know. Samples can also be submitted via OSU's Plant and Pest Diagnostic Clinic (PPDC). Additional information about the clinic can be found online at http://ppdc.osu.edu

Amy