Peach trees

Asked January 18, 2016, 10:27 AM EST

My peach trees originally were grown from the seeds of peaches. Last year they all died. Now new branches are coming up from the ground. They are growing thick like bushes. I don't know if I should remove them all or if they will someday produce peaches. If I leave them, do I prune them to a few? I think all of the trees are dead so I know I will have to remove them but I don't know what to do with the new growth from the ground.

Thank you, Bobbie

Arapahoe County Colorado trees and shrubs

The 'polar vortex' of November 2014 plus the Mother's Day 2015 snow and freeze did a lot of damage to fruit trees across the front range area of Colorado.

There are peach varieties that do well on the east side of the Continental Divide. Most peach trees are established on grafted stock. Planting a pit from a peach will not provide you with the same fruit as it reverts to the parent stock that the tree was grafted to. The plants that are growing from the roots are going to be of the parent stock as well. If you want to plant a peach tree or trees in your yard it would be best to get a tree from a garden center or nursery that will have the varieties that will do best in this part of Colorado.

Here is additional information:

http://planttalk.org/1204.html

The varieties that do well on the Eastern slope of Colorado are listed in this information.

Deborah, You didn't answer my question. I understand that the peaches will revert to the parent tree. We have had bounty crops of peaches from these trees, all were originally from seeds. The peaches they produced were delicious. The trees died.

What I want to know is how to manage the massive ground growth. There are many sprouting from the ground. They look like bushes. Do I let them all grow? Are they peach trees? How do I decide what to keep and what to dig up?

Bobbie

Try to find the healthiest and straightest of the sprouts and prune the rest as close to ground level as possible. Be careful if you try to dig up the rest of the sprouts that you do not injure the area where the saved sprout is emerging from the old root. You may have to continue to cut the unwanted sprouts off at ground level for a while. The saved sprout should send out new roots to support itself and the roots from the dead part of the tree should decay in time. If these sprouts are emerging from the base of the dead tree they should be the same peach tree.