Silicate

After reading the Rutgers article, I thought it would be interesting to know whether silicate could be beneficial for a home garden. There are products such as AgSil 16H (potassium silicate), Silica Blast, Dyna-Gro Pro-tekt, Armor SI, etc., but I don't know if there is science to back up the product claims.

http://sebsnjaesnews.rutgers.edu/2013/03/silicon-an-essential-plant-nutrient-2/

Clackamas County Oregon soil amendments horticulture soil and fertility issues

As the article from Rutgers indicates, there is not a lot of research-based information on the role of silica in plant nutrition and I can't recommend its use in gardening.

If you want to perform a garden-scale experiment, you might try calcium silicate as a soil amendment compared to agricultural lime where you grow the same crops with the same methods in two different areas (one with regular agricultural lime as a control and the other with calcium silicate). As a fine powder, a dust mask should be used when applying regular lime and the calcium silicate).

Please let me know if you have an further questions.

Weston