4-H

Our children, 8 and 10 are wanting to join a 4-H club. They are wanting to raise and show rabbits, chickens and vegetables and crafts. We live on the Russell county part of Jabez. The kids attend Nancy elementary in Pulaski County. Please help us find an appropriate club. The Jager Family

Russell County Kentucky 4-h and youth 4-h clubs youth development russell county kentucky

Dear Jagar Family,

We currently do not offer poultry or rabbit programs in Russell County. I touched base with TJ Adkins in Pulaski County; they do not have any programs either in rabbits and chickens. Both of our counties usually have exhibits in our respective fairs for vegetables.

I am willing to work with you to find publications and project books where your family could pursue this as a 4-H independent study project. Mr. Adkins mentioned that Laurel County and Lincoln County may offer the poultry and rabbit program.

In regards to crafts, there are numerous categories that we offer at the Russell County Fair where they could enter their exhibits. I think that Pulaski Co. offers those same classes at their fair as well. After the 2016 fair though, those traditional craft classes will be changing to reflect projects in the new 4-H Expressive Arts curriculum.

Please contact me if I can be of any assistance to you at 270-866-4477.

Best wishes!