bird problem

I don't know if this question falls into your department of expertise: For a couple of years now I have had a male cardinal flying and pecking at our windows. He does this all day long, as long as there is daylight, and not just at mating season but throughout year. He does this all around the house, front, back and sides, and it's driving me crazy,- since it sounds like someone is knocking constantly! Any help would be appreciated!

Harford County Maryland birds wildlife attacking windows

Generally birds peck at windows because they see their own reflection. Since they cannot recognize themselves they treat the reflection as an intruder. It may help to diminish the reflective properties of the glass. Temporarily hang some garden netting in front of the glass (like a drape). Hopefully the bird will no longer want to attack its reflection. See the attached link for more information from the Cornell Lab http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/faq/attracting/challenges/window_collisions