Raspberry die off

Asked January 15, 2016, 7:52 AM EST

For the past 3 years I have encountered this problem with my raspberry plants. In fact the plants (2) are only 3 years old so it happens each year. The plant grows well in the spring with full growth and healthy green leaves. But just after flowers appear, it begins to die off. Within two weeks it has completely died back. Its struggles to come back during the summer but never gets back to its strength it had at the start of the growing season. the location gets about 5 hours of afternoon sun, about half direct and half indirect. I have blackberries adjacent to the raspberries and they thrive. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the plant's condition. Surface drainage appears adequate, no standing water. The soil is clayey and rocky. I'm not sure if I should give up on these plants or the location. Are raspberries difficult to grow. I assumed that they would do well in this location since the blackberries do so well. Thanks for any advice.

Frederick County Maryland fruit raspberries decline

Below are several factors to consider. Raspberries are not difficult to grow but they are less hardy than blackberries regarding winter temperatures. It is also possible that there may not be enough light. Since the blackberries are growing well you may want to remove the plants and plant new plants in the spring. Otherwise, you can send us photos of the plants this season as soon as they start to decline. http://extension.umd.edu/growit/fruit-profiles/raspberries-and-blackberries