Easy access gardening for elderly

My parents are obsessed with gardening and determined to continue even though their declining health should not allow for it. Bending down is really not good for them. They usually just grow cucumbers, tomatoes, ect. basic garden fruits and veggies. I know nearly nothing about gardening and was thinking of making something like a trough out of wood to a waist height and filling it with dirt to grow plants at an easier height. Would it need to have an open bottom for roots? Is this a good/bad idea? Any other obvious solution I am missing? Thanks.

Bristol County Massachusetts vegetables container gardening salad table boxes salad tables

You seem to describing a salad table. Our website information should help you: http://extension.umd.edu/growit/food-gardening-101/salad-tables%E2%84%A2

Gardening has been shown to be the 2nd best exercise for women after weight training, and exercise is what keeps the elderly in good heath, not to mention mentally acute. We hope your ideas to make their gardening activities possible into the future benefit all around.