Cattle fencing spedifications

What are the specifications for a good boundary fence for holding cattle

Hopkins County Texas

The minimum would be a 5 line barbed wired, 10 inches apart to contain adult cattle. IF you have to contain predators/wild hogs or calves it will be recommended to modify accordingly.

I am so ignorant that the response does not give me enough to go on. here are some of the questions I have. This is a cow calf operation... Fence will go primarily through timber with two open areas to cross along with a sizable wet weather creek.In this situation what should I do about the following: I am assuming that a five wire barbed fence is appropriate. We want this to be a long term fence. 1. Height of top wire. Should spacing be uniform? 2.length of metal “T” posts: 6.5’ long ? or something else. 4. What grade for posts.....“T” Post Grade: At Tractor Supply they list 1.25 LBS/FT or 1.33 LBS/FT. Not sure what is standard and what we need. 5. Distance between posts. ?. 6. Should we have fence stays? If yes, every section or ever few sections? 7.Whether some “H” braces are required at the ends,or gates or after some particular distance? 8. what fencing needs to go down into creek so cows cannot go under. 9.quality of wire? 10. How deep should the posts be in the ground? 11. Is cement called for at any place? 12. Does extension service have any guidance on contract terms with an installer? 13. Does extension service ( or A & M) have any papers or brochures on the subject? Sorry for all the questions but we want to do it right. Jerry Jordan jjatty1@airmail.net

I am so ignorant that the response does not give me enough to go on. here are some of the questions I have. This is a cow calf operation... Fence will go primarily through timber with two open areas to cross along with a sizable wet weather creek.In this situation what should I do about the following: I am assuming that a five wire barbed fence is appropriate. We want this to be a long term fence. 1. Height of top wire. Should spacing be uniform? 2.length of metal “T” posts: 6.5’ long ? or something else. 4. What grade for posts.....“T” Post Grade: At Tractor Supply they list 1.25 LBS/FT or 1.33 LBS/FT. Not sure what is standard and what we need. 5. Distance between posts. ?. 6. Should we have fence stays? If yes, every section or ever few sections? 7.Whether some “H” braces are required at the ends,or gates or after some particular distance? 8. what fencing needs to go down into creek so cows cannot go under. 9.quality of wire? 10. How deep should the posts be in the ground? 11. Is cement called for at any place? 12. Does extension service have any guidance on contract terms with an installer? 13. Does extension service ( or A & M) have any papers or brochures on the subject? Sorry for all the questions but we want to do it right. Jerry Jordan jjatty1@airmail.net Anonymous Guest

OK. Not a problem. We have printed/electronic material I will be sending you at your email that might answer part of your question. As you can see, there are several considerations to make during the proper built of the fence. I will be in contact by email at the email you sent me to facilitate communication and transferring of files.

Please contact me directly at my email: m-villarino@tamu.edu.