crack up the bark of the trunk of my sugar maple tree

Dear sir or madam, I live in NW Washington, DC. I have two 18-20-year old Maple trees in my back yard. One, a Sugar Maple, has a 4-5 feet vertical crack in the bark of the tree trunk. It is 2-3 inches wide in places and exposes the inside natural wood of the tree. I do not see bugs in the crack or bore holes. I can send a close- up iPad photo if you will give me your email address. Sincerely yours,

District of Columbia County District of Columbia sugar maple trees maple bark crack tree crack

Cracks are caused by a variety of things are do not necessarily mean trouble. Read through our website info for causes: http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/frost-cracks-sunscald-growth-cracks-trees-and-shrubs

Unless you see rot (crumbling wood, fungal growth), the tree has probably healed itself and should be in a stable condition. Never attempt to apply any kind of "would dressing" (which slows healing) or fill in a crack (which promotes rot).

If you are concerned about the tree's stability, you need to have an arborist look at it on-site. Many tree service companies have arborists certified by the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA), which is whowe recommend. Usually they will look at a problem tree for no charge (Of course, they do charge for work don.) To locate a certified arborist near you go to: www.treesaregood.org