cliva

For about 10 yrs i've had cliva, now 2 pots. I know they should be crowded and very dry in winter, then bloom in spring. So: 1) why have mine sometimes bloomed in late summer and fall?; 2) why do outer leaves often flop down, begin to separate, then yellow and die? and 3) i've read that in winter should keep completely dry, but also to water lightly once a month - which do you recommend? thank you

Anne Arundel County Maryland houseplants clivia care

Sounds like your plants have acclimated to their own schedule. Older foliage can yellow and die off. Please see the attached link from Chicago Botanic Garden for care http://www.chicagobotanic.org/plantinfo/clivia

Thank you for the link, which i have read (along with other sources previously), but what puzzles me, after 45+ yrs with houseplants which produced many yellow leaves, is that this issue is that apparently healthy dark green, turgid leaves on the outside flop over and then begin to deteriorate. If you ever see any possible explanation pls let me know. (I should have stated in orig question that I do use a moisture meter to ensure that i am not under/over watering.) thanks

Even though they prefer to be crowed, it may be a good idea to examine the root system and see whats going on inside the pot. It may be time for root pruning and re potting.

ro